We are true Hong Kongers now...(Almost) all of the things that seemed odd upon our arrival in 2010 are *normal* to us now. Charlie fits right in during his commute and is at home during his weekly visits to Mainland China. I spend my days carting the girls around to schools and activities and playdates. We still miss our friends and family in the US very much though - if it were only a bit closer! I've found most of the things we require and don't miss the US for products quite as much as before, although a trip to Target would be amazing! I walk miles and miles every day. And just for the record, I am not exaggerating. Not a day goes by that I don't think about buying a car - it would just be so expensive and parking would be a nightmare! Public transport is amazing here...we take the train and taxis whenever possible!
Makena is 4.5 now. So hard to believe she is almost five! All of those people who said time would fly once you had kids were right! She goes to an amazing Montessori school full time. After school she takes ballet, piano, and Mandarin - with plenty of visits to the many local playgrounds. Her Mandarin songs are adorable...I will try to get one on video for Chinese New Year and post it to YouTube this year! Her ballet school is putting on a big show next month - tickets went on sale at noon this past Monday and they were almost sold out by 3pm! She is a spunky and sometimes cheeky little girl. She loves pasta, ice cream, and stickers!
Nyla is 1.5 now. She spends her time accompanying me as we take Makena to school and her activities. During the day she goes to gymnastics, soccer, and music. She absolutely adores her classes and participates fully in all of the activities. Always a social little girl, Nyla gives the most amazing hugs and greets just about everyone she meets (and that is a lot of folks!). Her language is progressing - when she passes someone and they don't respond to her "hello", she breaks out a little "ni hao" (hello in Mandarin Chinese). That does get us some looks.
We began the paperwork in early 2012 for Baby Brown #3. I won't bore you with the back story, but we entered the Republic of the Marshall Islands (RMI) program as expats, which means that the process will be similar to US domestic adoption. We are currently awaiting a referral. Everyone is so excited and anxious to hear news. Baby names are top on our list of priorities...any suggestions?