Thursday, July 1, 2010

Riding the Waves

I imagine that my feelings right now are the same as if I had found out I was unexpectedly preggo right after returning home with Makena. There are really no words to properly describe *all* of the thoughts and scenarios that are swirling through my mind! We have heard this many, many times over the last six years, but this time it seems that it will stick. Our family is most likely going to be relocated...quite literally half way around the world! Hong Kong here we come!

This will be a great career move for Charlie. Loads more responsibility, but also loads more exposure. He won't be bored for a LONG time! This will be a great move for Makena. We can put her in Mandarin lessons and help to entrench her in her native culture. I am super excited about that! She can learn all about living in a high rise, riding on public transportation, and taking holidays in places like Phuket! As for me, I am just trying to organize it all! The uber-control freak hidden in me is trying to poke his ugly face out, and I am doing my best to keep him hidden and just ride the wave...and the waves are so crazy that the surfers have been on them for weeks!

Our Rwandan adoption is almost to day 500, and we are anticipating a referral at the end of 2010. We have no real idea what will happen regarding her ability to obtain a visa and travel to Hong Kong. Translation...the Brown girls might have to live in the US for months while we wait for her US citizenship to come through post adoption (with Charlie traveling back to the States for the SW visits and court dates). Right now, we are thinking that a temporary move to California makes sense while Charlie is permanently in Hong Kong. Makena's best friend is there and I would love to be close to her (and her amazing mama!).  If anyone knows what we should do besides pray about it, please let us know...and set yourself up a nice little lucrative fortune-telling business!

The other outstanding and hugely important thing is our pups. We have two of the most amazing and incredible 4-year-old Jack Russell Terriers. It doesn't make sense to drag them with us only to risk quarantines and to put them in a high rise building with no grass...Heartbreaking is all I can say!

The rest is just stuff...literally! We are hoping/planning/starting to donate and/or sell just about everything. Goodwill LOVES me and now rolls out the red carpet when we drive up! It's good to know that somebody loves us! Hoping to have more news soon...

Still roaming...