Monday, July 5, 2010

Basking in the Fourth

Today is July 4th...a hugely important holiday in America. An important enough day to warrant special shirts, shoes, accessories...you name it, they make it for July 4th! Makena and I were out shopping for footed fleece pajamas (which for the record, are VERY hard to find in hot and humid July) when we stumbled across the 70% off July 4th clothes. Holiday clothes are not really my thing, but it was too cute and way too cheap to pass up! She's been celebrating the fourth every day this week and I've been doing laundry every night to accommodate! I figured that this might be the last Independence Day that she gets to spend in America for a while, so why not? What a wonderful, whirlwind weekend of family, parties, and good friends!

I treasure freedom. The fact that I get to choose which church to attend and how I worship is something that I don't take for granted. The fact that we can decide to hop on an airplane and explore the world is something that I truly treasure. The fact that I can write down my thoughts and ideas without fear of persecution is something that I sometimes take for granted. These freedoms will stay with us when we move, but not always when we travel. That will be a tough reality for us, yet it will be a very good lesson for our girls.

We have good friends coming over to enjoy a barbeque this afternoon and Makena is so excited to have her "boyfriend" over to play! She only stopped talking about July 4th and her friend when she fell asleep for her afternoon nap!

Happy Independence Day! May everyone enjoy the freedoms that we take for granted, and those freedoms that we treasure!