Christmas is coming up and you absolutely cannot miss it living in Hong Kong! There is Christmas music blaring, decorations everywhere, and a section of Christmas candies stuck against a random wall in just about every grocery store. There is absolutely nothing relating to religion at all. Not one thing. Not one song. Not one decoration. It isn’t even an option. It is really just an excuse to buy stuff here! I have never seen more people shopping than I do every day staying in Causeway Bay...and I am (or was, I guess) a Black Friday shopper! Are there really that many people here who need to buy something? Wow...uncomfortable to say the least. Not as bad as rush hour on the MTR though. There are people with their faces smashed up against the glass, and people still shove to get on! I lived in Los Angeles and always told people that it wasn’t really like they portrayed it in the movies...well, the crowds in Hong Kong are worse than in the movies! Unbelievable number of people and the trains come every minute for hours - they are all overcrowded! And there is always some person who thinks that he can squeeze on who keeps getting his head stuck in the door when they try to close. Gotta love him for trying, I guess!
Every mall has some sort of modern art display for Christmas also. Very cute and amazingly creative. It seems that each shopping center contracts with a local artist to create something to draw the crowds. It worked! You have never seen more pictures being taken than at some of these displays. EVERYONE has their cameras out. Starbucks is also in on the action, blasting Christmas carols in every store. For the record, all Starbucks are not created equal. And that is all I’m going to say about that!
Merry Roaming...