One day I think that I will just count the number of escalators and staircases that we use. It has literally got to be in the hundreds every day! Charlie will use even more once he is back in Hong Kong and going to work from our new home. There are six for each round-trip to the grocery store! And it is only one block down from our house! Makena is a two-year-old master of the staircase and escalator now....she’s gotten a lot of practice and it is paying off! Yesterday we were using the moving walkway in one of the MTR stations and she scolded me for walking - it was an *escalator*, albeit one with no incline, and we stand still on escalators, mama! Ha! I was so proud...even if we were a little late!
We live on Conduit Road in Mid-Levels, which is the last street on the escalators, so we get to use all of the escalators when we head down to civilization. The entire escalator system has 23 escalators - one way to Central (the main MTR stop). They go down in the morning (6-10am) and up the rest of the day (10:20am-midnight). At times the steps are amazingly steep...with Makena, I have opted for a taxi a few times just because I didn’t think I could carry her up any more stairs - those little legs get tired! It is also harder than you would think to go down - they are not very even and not all the same size - makes for a very tired mama too!
Roaming up the hill...